Friday, June 10, 2011

struggling with discpline

I am so stuck right now! I do not know what way to go when it comes to correcting Ethan and enforcing the rules. No one really knows this but I was severely abused and as child not by my mom but a former step parent and I have to say that it is always in the back of my mind. My husband is amazing,but he was raised in the country where a belt did the talking. I have so many mixed feelings on the issue of discpline.

1. Spanking: I think that yes there is a time and a place for it but not until the child is old enough to understand what does and does not warrant a spanking. On the flip side, because I was abused I would never want my child to have to feel that sort of pain, so I would never spank.
2. Time outs- Yeah we have been trying them and they worked great at first but now Ethan puts himself into time out (it is really cute) but he thinks they are fun now and it does not correct the issue.
3. Re-direction This has never worked for Ethan, he is very stubborn and will continue to go back to what ever he was doing that he shouldnt be doing no matter how many times I correct him.

Those are the 3 main things that I have in my arsonal, maybe it is just the age and he will chill out sometime by the time is 18 or maybe I am doomed I dont know. I wish that I had the answers. It makes me wonder if I would be capable of handling 2 kids. I mean I feel like I have lost control of Ethan and he is not even 2 (13 days) I guess I will just keep trying and keep praying that someday i will learn the answers.

Suggestions are welcome...

No comments:

Post a Comment